Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Blast Doors|
|Name||The Blast Doors|
|Introduced In||What Kate Did|
|Last Seen In||Live Together, Die Alone|
The Blast Doors within The Swan that, when lowered, seal the interior of the hatch off from the outside world and display (through a projected light) a map drawn in invisible ink of what appears to be surrounding locations on the island.
When Michael returned from his ordeal on the other side of the island, he examined the interior of the hatch and pointed out to Locke that the blast doors seemed to seal off the computer room from the rest of the hatch. He explains that they would come down from the ceiling in case of an explosion. (What Kate Did)
The Lowering of the DoorsEdit
Alone in the hatch with the suspected other, "Henry Gale," Locke began to hear static and garbled messages emanating from the speaker located on the ceiling of the station. The message soon became clear enough for Locke to make out a countdown. When the countdown reached zero, the blast doors came down, trapping Locke and Henry inside. With Henry 's help, Locke was able to prop one of the doors up using a weight lifting bar, and used a toolbox to support the door. Locke then attempted to crawl under the door, but the door crumpled the toolbox and came down on Locke's leg, impaling his thigh with a locking spike.
Locke then instructed Henry to crawl through the pantry's vent and get to the computer room, so that the code would be entered before the timer hit zero. During Henry's absence, the alarm sounded for the code to be entered, and the timer appeared to reach zero. The lights in the hatch then went out, and darkness took over.
Suddenly, a blacklight is then turned on, and Locke is presented with a drawing of an octagonal map that contains what appears to be installations or locations, and pathways to and from each object. The drawing is littered with writing done in free hand. In the center of the octagon, there is a large question mark encircled with a dotted line.
When the black light is turned off and the normal lights engage, the blast doors recede back up into the ceiling, freeing Locke from under their weight.(Lockdown)
When in the episode "Lockdown" the blast doors drop and black lights turn on, a drawing on the inside of one blast door is revealed. The drawing appears to be a map of a part of the island enclosed in the shape of an octagon. At the bottom of the drawing are the words "I AM HERE" with an arrow pointing to a drawing of the Swan station.On the map, there appear to be six structures depicted, with four of them labeled by name and icon like DHARMA stations: the Swan, the Flame, the Staff and the Arrow. The other two structures are drawn with dotted lines, labeled "C3?" and "C4?". The six structures surround a big question mark, encircled with a dotted line, in the center of the map. Visited in the episode "?", this location was revealed to be Station 5, "The Pearl." At the top left, there is a seventh structure which is scribbled out.Among the stations on the bottom and right side of the map, there are four rectangular structures that have "CV I", "CV II", "CV III", and "CV IV" written on them, with CV being an abbreviation for "Cerberus Vent".
In the episode "Live Together, Die Alone" the mapmaker was revealed to be Desmond's former hatch-mate, Kelvin Inman, who was continuing a project that had also been worked on by his previous work partner, referred to as Radzinsky. For the fluorescent paint, Kelvin used DHARMA Initiative liquid detergent.
There is another version of the blast door map concealed on the back of the four Lost jigsaw puzzles created by TDC games. A glow-in-the-dark, 4-part map is revealed upon completion of the four puzzles, and contains additional secret codes, some of them preceded by the letter 'c'. Complete decryption of the code revealed the meaning of some of the shorthand notations in the map (P.R.D = Periodic Resupply Drop; A.H.= Alvar Hanso; D.I.H.G. = DHARMA Initiative Hanso Group; C.V. = Cerberus Vent; E.E.P. = Emergency Escape Protocol).
Outside of the OctagonEdit
The following notations are located on the outside of the octagon, and begin in the top left hand corner, and descend downward in a counter-clockwise motion towards top right hand corner.
- From following AH/MDG Incident
- But could be #6
- Confirmed site of Caduceus Medical Station (The Staff)
- Aegrescit medendo (Latin for: The disease worsens with the treatment. The remedy is worse than the disease)
- Caduceus Station believed to have been abandoned due to AH/MDG incident of 1985 or possible catastrophic malfunction of Cerberus system
- Estimated travel time incompatible with 108 do not attempt to journey
- Alleged location of #4 The Flame
- But unlikely due to Cerberus activity
- Activity unsuitable for D.I.H.G.
- Alleged location of aborted #7 large number of underground springs heavy water table.
- CV I Highly Unlikely
- No safe location for DHARMATEL Servers/Hub/Cabling or Infrastructure
- Low priority zone for exploration - possible site for above ground study of flora, low relevance to Valenzetti related research activity
- Possible recreation area for D.I.H.G. survey teams
- I AM HERE
- Multiple escape conduits blocked after incident
- System wide failure of DHARMATEL Intranet
- 4.08.00, 8.15.01, 01.06.03
- P.R.D.: every 6-8 months
- Fatalities: 5
- The Swan: 3 of 6 (4. 8, 15, 16, 23, 42)
- Site of H.G. delegation inspection 12.07.81
- Complete shutdown in effect
- No connection to islandwide E.E.P. network
- Possible CV II - inactive since accident
- Stated goal, repatriation accelerated de-territorialization of ursus maritimus through gene therapy and extreme climate change (Ursus Maritimus is Latin for: Polar Bear)
- Activity minimal during lockdown and restocking procedures
- Known final resting place of Magnus Hanso / Black Rock
- REV 4.3.02 possible location of zoological research facility
- Primary nexus of Cerberus related activity
- Sightings coincide with emergency shutdown of intranet services, periods of heightened security
- CV III
- Hic sunt dracones (Latin for: Here be dragons)
- The Pearl?
- CV IV?
- High potential for R.V.S. Facility.
- Interference might also prevent location from use as listening station / cryptography research or analysis
- Geological composition most likely to cause magnetic interference with weather project
- Mountainous terrain most likely used by D.I.H.G. for meteorological research
- Suspected shut down date 10.28.84
- Possible manufacturing facility with light industrial equipment
- Road or other route of travel
Inside of the OctagonEdit
These notations are found on the inside of the octagon. On the inside of the octagon are the DHARMA Initiative's stations which they have placed all over the island, as well as some minor notations and phrases.
- The Swan
- CV I
- CV II
- CV III
- Ut sit magna, tamen certe lenta ira deorum est (Latin for: The wrath of the gods may be great, but it certainly is slow)
- The Flame
- √16, √64, √225
- Cogito ergo doleo (Latin for: I think therefore I am depressed)
- The Staff
- Malum consilium quod mutari non potest (Latin for: It's a bad plan that can't be changed)
- Unknown Crossed Out Station (Possibly the Decoy Station)
- Sursum Corda, Sursum Corda, Sursum Corda (Latin for: Lift up your hearts)
- The Arrow
- Credo nos in fluctu eodem esse (Latin for: I think we're on the same wavelength)
- C3? (Unknown Station)
- Why so many DHARMATEL relays in such an untenable location?
- Mus uni non fidit antro (Latin for: A mouse does not rely on just one holea)
- C4? (Unknown Station)
- CV IV
- Liberate te ex inferis (Latin for: Save yourself from hell)
- Subterranean Conduit?
- ? (Circled with dotten lines)
- Designation unknown
- Purpose unknown
- Relation to D.I.H.G. unknown
- Nil actum credens dum quid superesset agendum (Latin for: Don't consider that anything has been done if anything is left to be done)
- v16, v64, v225