The Number 8 is one of the six "Numbers" (4 8 15 16 21 44). The number 8 has appeared in the following places. Furthermore, it is considered Hurley's number, since it is the number assigned to him by Jacob in his search for a successor.
# of months Claire was pregnant when they crashed. # of kilometers the hitman tells Jin to drive. # of people that die in Hurley’s shoe factory fire. # of whiskey shots between Sawyer and Christian Shephard. # of hours Kate would spend in the woods with her father tracking deer. # of years since Michael got hit by a car. # of years Michael’s been writing Walt. # of months Locke and Helen have been talking. # of days since Charlie went without his guitar. # of weeks Driveshaft was going on tour. # of days after the crash Jack & the other survivors moved to the caves. # of years Michael worked in construction. # of months since farmer’s wife died when he met Kate. # of years since Kate was arrested (According to mug shot, assuming the flight was in 2004.) # of times Jin punched the guy he was “giving the message” to for Sun’s father. # of beers Jack’s best man says he should have before giving the speech. # of people kneeling in the second row of the Mosque. # of the aisle the regulation footballs are in. # of months after that accident Sarah was supposed to have the wedding. # of hours Aaron was awake for. # of stories that Locke fell when he broke his back. # of years from the time Desmond saw Penny at her new apartment to when he called her on Christmas Eve from the boat (The Constant episode)
- Sawyer’s age when his dad killed himself and his wife.
- Shannon’s age when her dad married Boone’s mom.
- News station at Hurley’s lotto interview was Channel 8.
- Walt born in August.
- Claire was missing for 8 days since Ethan took her.
- Charlie’s shoe size.
- The car magazine description Sawyer reads says the car has a V8 engine.
- The old guy’s hat in the airport (Who Hurley buys the scooter from) has an 8 on his hat.
- Drawn on the wall in the hatch.
- On some equipment in Sarah’s hospital room.
- The symbol all over the hatch is an octagon (8 sides).
- The deck that collapsed while Hurley was standing on it was built for 8 people, according to Dr. Brooks.
- Number on the white rabbit in Hydra lab.
- Sun had conceived 8 weeks previous to Juliet doing tests on her.
# of hits Juliet had to hit the bomb in the hole in The Incident, before it worked.
- Number next to Hurley's name on the ceiling on which Jacob had listed his candidates for succession.